Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ilha Grande, Sao Paulo and Houston

For New Years we escaped the crazy prices and parties of Rio for the island life of Ilha Grande. Ilha Grande is a beautiful island south of Rio that was once used to contain prisoners. Today the island is a peaceful vacation destination that offers surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking and drinking caipirinhas on the beach. It rained for most of our stay there (as it had for most of our stay in Brazil) but we were able to enjoy the beach, hiking and kayaking.

Arriving on the island:

Highest point of an all-day hike:

Kayaking:
An awesome beachside cafe:
We picked the table with the sleeping puppy:
We hiked to this isolated beach and saw a couple dancing while their kids played soccer:

We shared our midnight “Happy New Year” peacefully on the deck of our hostel that overlooked the sea and mainland.
Maracuya caipirinha:

We returned to Rio and spent a week there before heading to Sao Paulo (Rio was covered in the previous blog entry). Sao Paulo was enormous and somewhat intimidating but we ended up enjoying our time there. We spent a few days in a nice, quiet neighborhood and discovered some nice places. One of Sao Paulo's highlights is all the awesome street art.

Vila Madalena (cool bohemian area):

Outside the Mercado Municipal, this guy:
Downtown:
The famous Avenida Paulista:
Coolest park in the city, Ibirapuera:
On the wall outside of the really, really good Afro-Brazilian Museum:

Sao Paulo has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan. We went to Liberdade, the Japanese neighborhood, for sushi:


From the Sao Paulo airport, we left for our one night layover in Houston. Before arriving in Houston we had a four-hour layover in Panama City, like we did when flying to Guatemala five and a half months earlier. This really made us feel the time that had passed. We shared our feelings and perspectives of now and then, smiling all the while.

Hours later, at 6pm, we landed in Houston and made our way through immigration and customs (the immigration officer told me “Welcome home!") When we made it to the passenger pick-up area, we decided to go to the restrooms before looking for our ride but it was too late... We'd been spotted. We heard, “Arroz con pollo!! Arroz con pollo!!” I turned to see a handsome, young man running toward us. My brother gave us big hugs and immediately filled his hands with our luggage.

So we caught up in the car, talking about the flight and...nuclear energy, until we arrived at my brother’s home. When pulling up, I noticed Blaine’s car parked and idling on the street. We got out and I told Sheer, “You first.” She ran and jumped on Blaine; hugging, laughing and smiling. Then I gave him a firm handshake and said, “fine evening isn’t it?” Just kidding, I gave him a huge hug.

We walked in the house and took the tour (it was our first time to see my brother’s first home). I really like his place: great kitchen, big bathroom and an awesome patio. My dad was the next to show up. It was good to see the old man. We didn’t have much time to talk though because, soon after he arrived, the gang started pouring in. Pat the terremoto, iTrent and Monks. Then came Charlie, Terry, Cindy, D’Arcy, Nancy, Kira, and Austin. Finally and fashionably late, came Babaji. It was great! Christina and Keven cooked us up some fajitas and handed out beers while Sheer and I visited with everybody. We heard so many good things about new jobs, new dogs, new marriages, new directions, engagements, and a baby on the way. It was as good as parties get for me: intimate conversations and good company, food and drink.



After we ran out of beer, we popped open some champagne and D’Arcy made a nice toast. It was a school night so the employed said their reasonably-houred goodbyes one by one. My goodbye, however, came much later. I was raising a glass of pisco while talking with Pat and Monks when I saw my brother, Keven O'Connor, come out of his bedroom. He wasn’t coming out to use the bathroom in the middle of the night... nope... he was leaving for work. I put the glass down and said, “Well, I think that settles it for me. I’m going to bed.”

When I woke up (a couple hours later), Sheer and I borrowed Keven's car to have breakfast and pick up some supplies at Whole Earth Provisions. At Baby Barnaby's, we had been sitting at our table for less than a minute when the waiter brought a pitcher of ice water, full thermos of coffee, two glasses and two mugs. Our mouths dropped at this amazing service. We hadn’t ordered a thing yet. I said, “God bless America... God bless freedom.” After the best breakfast we’d had in six months, we got our bill and I noticed that there was a charge for the orange juice that I had ordered but that was not delivered. I gave the waiter my credit card and the bill and said, “I didn’t have an orange juice, would you please remove it from the bill?” “No problem,” he replied with a smile. Sheer left for the restroom while I signed the bill. I put my card back in my wallet and looked up to see the waiter place a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice in front of me. “So you know how good it is for next time,” he said with a smile. “Thanks man!” I said. It was good! I told Sheer what happened and she said, “That’s what happens when you have to work for your tips.”

Just hours later we boarded our flights to Israel (me via London and Sheer via Frankfurt).

No comments:

Post a Comment